Potens were proud to support the Alcohol Change UK’s annual conference in Wales 2019 on Wednesday 18th of September, helping to raise awareness and promote specialist services set up for people who might not fit the usual treatment criteria – including some of the most vulnerable people in our communities.
Our team were on hand to give out support and advice – promoting Potens “Arbennig” service which provides specialised services for 13 people diagnosed with Alcohol Related Brain Damage (ARBD), which includes Acquired Brain Injury, Korsakoff’s and Alcohol related dementia.
Conference Theme – Alcohol Support and Treatment
This conference was about reducing harm and promoting wellbeing. At this multidisciplinary event, we focused on how to provide the best support for people who might not fit the usual treatment criteria – including some of the most vulnerable people in our communities.
Excessive drinking may be just one symptom of the challenges they face in life – including other risky or harmful behaviours, underlying mental health problems, and difficulties accessing services. The complexity of their needs means that alcohol services need to understand much more about them than just their drinking habits. It also means that services such as housing support, healthcare, social care and the emergency services need to understand the role alcohol plays in those complex needs.
Jam Packed Agenda raising awareness of Alcohol Issues
During the day, experts in a range of fields helped us get to grips with issues including:
• Why substance misuse and mental health issues can’t be treated separately
• What to do about Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs), and what not to do
• How to do the best for autistic clients
• How alcohol misuse and eating disorders can interact
• How to support people who drink and gamble to excess
The conference delegates also heard from the award-winning journalist and author Catherine Gray about her twenty years of drinking and the unexpected joy of being sober.
- For information on Potens Arbennig service or to make a referral click here
- Find out more about the conference and Alcohol Change UK here